Friday, July 14, 2017

Spiritual Depletion


A few weeks ago I listened to a message from Pastor Joann Rosario Condrey. She made a point about "spiritual depletion" that stuck me.  If I tried to summarize her point it would be this . . . that many of us have gotten so use to operating in a state of spiritual depletion that we begin to believe that the symptoms of spiritual depletion are part of our personality. That these symptoms are just who we are. A few of the symptoms being . . . we are short-tempered, irritable, argumentative, overly aggressive, extremely defensive, unsympathetic, paranoid, insecure, impatient, stressed . . . and the list could go on.

I began to think about this statement and wondered how many times I've operated from a place of spiritual depletion and not recognized it. How many times have I been stressed, short-tempered, irritable, and impatient with those around me and not recognize that those outward expressions were simply a bi-product of what I was lacking spiritually. As I continued to ponder this thought, I found myself in a place of repentance before God. I recognized that because of my own lack of discipline, at times, I allowed myself to fall into a place of spiritual depletion that then affected my relationships, interactions, and ministry.

Pastor Joann's further point in this message was that when we put ourselves in a position to be constantly washed with the Word of God, worship God, and receive from the Holy Spirit, we are more likely to produce the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) and not those of a spirit of depletion (Galatians 5:19-21: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, etc.).

Over the past month I've had more flexibility in my schedule, which is great; however, it also means that I have to exercise more discipline over my time. I have purposed in my heart that during this season of life I will be more intentional about my personal time with God through worship and meditation on the Word. I recognize that it is necessary for my own personal sanity and for the welfare of those that are connected to me. I don't ever want to operate from a place of spiritual depletion again, so I know that it is critical for me to be consistently surrounded by the things of God.

This post has been extremely introspective; however, I pray that you will take a few moments to reflect on your own life and actions. And if you find some areas where you are currently spiritually depleted, I pray that you will begin the process to shift and allow the Spirit of God to refill and overflow you, so that you can reflect more of His character, which is your true personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment