Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Grateful Heart

As I sat catching up with one of my sisters-in-Christ about her recent missions trip to Africa, I could not help but to begin to think how truly blessed we are and also about how many things we often unknowingly take for granted.

I began to think on some of the things that she shared:
  • What if I had to walk for miles without shoes …
  • What if I couldn't go to school because I lived in an area where no one wanted to come and teach …
  • What if my family was so poor that they couldn't afford any of the basic necessities to sustain life (housing, food, water, clothing, etc.) …
  • What if the only life I knew was one where I grew up in an orphanage, never truly becoming familiar with the touch of another human …
As a sat there becoming overwhelmed with God's love and grace I could not help but to think that I need to take the time be more aware and more grateful for all that God has blessed me with in my life, even the little things. My reflection began to put a lot of things in perspective.  It confirmed for me that the situations and challenges that we might face in life, although they may be difficult, could be even more difficult, challenging, and even life threatening.

I don't want to take for grated that I have a safe and secure place to rest my head; that there is running water when I turn the handle on the faucet; that God provides the financial means for me to be able to sustain life . . . . this list could go on and on.

I just want to encourage you with this post to take a few moments of your busy day to reflect and express your thankfulness to God about the "little things".  As you reflect, think that your "little things" could be something very big to someone else who has to live with out it.

1 comment:

  1. I have been to Africa as a young child and felt the same things. It has always made me grateful for where I live and for the parents I had. Now as I am older and reading your words it makes me feel like yes things are not perfect right now but they could be a lot worse. So I thank God for the things that I have an I feel truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete